A woman infected with the coronavirus died at a state-run hospital in north Bengal on Monday, taking the total number of Covid-19 deaths in West Bengal to two, hospital sources said.
The 44-year-old woman from Kalimpong in Darjeeling district breathed her last around 2 a.m .at the North Bengal Medical College and Hospital, where she was admitted.
She had recently returned from Chennai, where she had gone for the treatment of her daughter.
Her daughter and the doctor, who was treating the woman, have been quarantined at a centre, a health department official said.
Earlier, an elderly man from Kolkata had died from Covid-19 last week.
The total number of Covid-19 cases has risen to 21 in West Bengal, including the two deaths.
The government on Monday said there was no plan to extend the 21-day lockdown which came intro force on Tuesday midnight.
The Press Information Bureau of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting tweeted, saying Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba has denied media reports claiming that the government will extend the lockdown.
"There are rumours & media reports, claiming that the Government will extend the #Lockdown21 when it expires. The Cabinet Secretary has denied these reports, and stated that they are baseless," it said.
The 21-day lockdown is aimed at checking the spread of the coronavirus.
Following the lockdown, there has been a massive exodus of migrant workers from big cities to their villages after being rendered jobless.
The total number of coronavirus cases detected so far in India has risen to 1024, as of 7:30 pm on Sunday evening. 901 cases are active, 96 have been cured, discharged or migrated, and there have been 27 deaths in India as a result of the Covid-19 epidemic.
159 international travellers are in quarantine facilities. The total death toll in Mumbai and adjoining areas now stands at 7 with 5 deaths in Mumbai and 2 in adjoining areas.
As a precautionary measure, the airline has asked all crew and staff who were in direct contact with him to be in self-quarantine for the next 14 days.
Delhi: Migrant workers in very large numbers at Delhi's Anand Vihar bus terminal, to board buses to their respective home towns and villages. They have walked to the bus terminal on foot from different parts of the city. pic.twitter.com/IeToP3hX7H
There were twenty two new infections detected in Mumbai and adjoining areas, according to the BMC's daily update. Total number of positive cases is now 108. There have been six deaths so far.
India has a total of 918 confirmed Covid-19 cases as of Saturday evening, according to data provided on the Health Ministry website. This includes 80 cured or migrated and 19 who succumbed to the respiratory illness. Total number of cases has more than tripled in the last one week.
The Madhya Pradesh government on Saturday issued a fresh order, asking liquor shops owners to keep their outlets shut during the countrywide lockdown imposed to contain the spread of coronavirus, officials said.
The state government also extended the closure of cinema halls till April 14. The government had earlier ordered that the cinema halls be kept shut till March 31 as a preventive measure to check the spread of coronavirus.
33 Covid-19 patients were found in Madhya Pradesh so far, two of them died, PTI reported citing officials.
For medical equipment to be plugged in, the railways has provided 220-volt electrical points in each compartment, and provided for 415-volt supply externally. Not just the wards for patients, the coaches will also have facilities such as consultation rooms, medical stores, ICUs and pantry.
Kerala reported the first death due to Covid-19 on Saturday, after a 69-year-old man being treated for the virus died at Ernakulam Medical College Hospital.
The man was admitted to the isolation ward on March 22 after his return from Dubai, the government hospital said in a statement. He was admitted with symptoms of pneumonia but later tested positive for coronavirus, it said. The patient was also suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure and had udergone a bypass surgery earlier, the hospital said.
Kerala reported 173 confirmed cases of coronavirus infection as of March 28, according to the Health Ministry website. This includes 11 people who were cured.
Thousands of migrant workers from metropolitan regions like Mumbai and Delhi, who started walking back to their native places, have gotten stuck at state borders amid the lockdown.
Over 3,000 migrant workers from Gujarat and Rajasthan got stranded at a village in Maharashtra's Palghar district as the border has been sealed by authorities. These people, who work in parts of Mumbai, Boisar, Virar, Vasai, Vashi and other adjoining places, got stranded in Acchad village in Talasari taluka of Palghar on Friday, PTI reported citing police officials.
After hours of efforts by the district and police authorities, migrants finally returned to the Mumbai metropolitan region in the transportation arranged for them, police said.
Meanwhile, Uttar Pradesh government has arranged a 1,000 buses to take migrant workers from Delhi to their respective hometowns, according to ANI.
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi over Karnataka police blocking a key state highway.
Vijayan has urged Modi to immediately intervene in the matter, pointing out that the Thalassery-Coorg State Highway 30 was crutial to ferrying essential commodites to the state.
"This route is a lifeline for the flow of essential commodities to Kerala. If this is blocked, vehicles carrying essential commodities will have to travel a much longer route to reach our state," Vijayan said in the letter, sent on Friday. "You will naturally agree with me that no action impeding the movement of essential commodities should be initiated at this moment of crisis."
A copy of the letter was released to the media on Saturday. Vijayan requested Modi to ensure smooth flow of essential commodities to Kerala when the state is fighting Covid-19 on a war footing.
Of the total number of people who tested positive, 28 have recovered and have been discharged from hospitals in different parts of the state, Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope said in a tweet.
The company said the social media post by the employee was against Infosys code of conduct and its commitment to responsible social sharing. "Infosys has a zero tolerance policy towards such acts and has accordingly, terminated the services of the employee."
Mohammad had posted on Facebook, "Let's join hands, go out and sneeze with open mouth in public. Spread the virus." He was arrested on Friday night.
A man who had tested positive for the coronavirus has recovered in Himachal Pradesh's Kangra district, a PTI reported citing an official.
"The 32-year-old man from Harchakkian tehsil of the district's Shahpur subdivision has recovered from the disease," said Additional Chief Secretary (Health) RD Dhiman in a statement. "His latest report is negative for Covid-19."
Three people had been tested positive for the virus in Himachal Pradesh, including the one who has recovered. Another is being treated at Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College in Tanda. The third patient, a 69-year-old man who recently travelled back from the US, had died on March 23, as per the official data.
"Samples of 150 people were sent for tests till date and 147 of them were tested negative against Covid-19 in the state," Dhiman said.
With six more people testing positive for coronavirus in Gujarat, the number of such cases in the state has risen to 53 on Saturday, PTI reported citing an official.
“As many as six new cases were reported since last evening, taking the number of such cases in the state to 53," Principal Secretary (Health) Jayanti Ravi said.
Three Covid-19 patients have so far died in the state - one each in Surat, Ahmedabad and Bhavnagar.
India has a total of 873 confirmed Covid-19 cases as of Saturday morning, according to data provided on the Health Ministry website. This includes 79 cured or migrated and 19 who succumbed to the respiratory illness. Total number of cases have tripled in the last one week.